ELMWOOD HALL, BELFAST
CLIENT: Consarc conservation DATE: 2014
Elmwood Hall is a former Presbyterian Church, built in an Italianate style to designs by John Corry in c.1860, with the campanile added a decade later. It was acquired by Queens University in the 1970s, and is now used for concerts and events. It is Grade A listed.
Opus Mosaic was commissioned to undertake restoration works to the floor of the recessed entrance porch. It contained an original Victorian memorial plaque to Robert Corry, dated 1869, which had been covered with glass during previous DDA works.
The mosaic had split through to the substrate in several areas. We carefully dismantled the mosaic to repair the substrate, before reassembly. Given its location, in an area of high traffic, we decided to cast the mosaic into a large block, which was then reinstated at the same level as the Victorian tiling. This will ensure the visual integrity and the future safeguarding of the memorial.