MURRAYS TOBACCO FACTORY FACTORY, BELFAST
CLIENT: Alastair Coey Architects
Murray Sons and Company Limited established its tobacco processing business in Belfast in 1810 specialising in the manufacture of pipe tobacco and snuff. In 1900 the company relocated to the Linfield Road site and later added the B+ listed two-and-a-half storey brick and stone administration building, with its distinctive pyramid-roofed towers.
Opus Mosaic was commissioned by Alastair Coey Architects, as part of the restoration aspect of the refurbishment, to replace the original mosaic, which was set within a terrazzo floor, and badly damaged.
The original mosaic was carefully copied and replicated in our Belfast studio, using a new marble that was colour matched to the original.