HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS BUILDING BELFAST
CLIENT: Belfast Harbour Commissioners.
Belfast Harbour Office is a fine Grade A listed building located close to Belfast’s historic docks. It has been the headquarters of Belfast Harbour Commissioners for over 150 years, and was built in two stages, the first in 1854 by George Smith, with an extension in 1895 by celebrated Belfast architect W H Lynn. The style is Italianate palazzo and the building has rich interior detailing throughout.
Opus Mosiac was commissioned in 2014 as part of a programme of refurbishment works. The mosaic floors of the entrance foyer were unstable, with significant separation from the mortar bed, and considerable risk of loss.
The grout was failing, with resulting debris building beneath the tiles, resulting in accelerated deterioration. 32 square metres of flooring was consolidated and repaired, using original tiles where possible