ST JOHNS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH , NEWTOWNBREDA.
St. John’s Presbyterian Church is a Grade B Listed Presbyterian Church in the Gothic Revival style, built in 1892 to designs by well-regarded Ulster architect Vincent Craig.
Opus Mosaic was commissioned to carry out works at the north and south entrances, to facilitate Universal Access. Both porches retained their original schemes of Victorian encaustic tiled flooring, and were required to be completely lifted and re-laid at a lower level.
The floor tiles of the south porch were difficult to remove; they were set originally into a Portland cement bed which holds a strong bond. As such, the tiles were prone to chipping and fracturing on removal and as a result, around half of the floor could not be salvaged. Using a mix of original, reclaimed and new material we pieced the floor together again at its new level.